Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Perfect Local Date, twice

A few weeks ago, Dave and I had a dinner date at one of my favorite Missoula restaurants, Biga Pizza. Not only was it tasty but it also turned out to be the perfect local dinner.  We ordered the sweet potato, bacon and maple chipotle pizza.  Biga has many spectacular pizzas but this one is made with local bacon, caramelized sweet potatoes, toasted hazelnuts, olive oil, mozzarella and a maple-chipotle drizzle, and it’s the one I usually find myself ordering when I’m there. The salty bacon, crunchy nuts and sweet and spicy drizzle are a perfect compliment to each other. To add to our dining pleasure we bought a bottle of Missoula’s Ten Spoons’ Range Rider Red wine to go along with the pizza. I couldn’t believe the price of the bottle of wine, $16.00, which is exactly what you’d pay for it in the grocery store. No big mark-up here.   

Range Rider Red is a fabulous full-bodied dry wine. (Am I fooling you that I know what I’m talking about when it comes to wine?) No matter, I know what I like and I like this wine. Range Rider Red is somewhat of a rarity since it’s one of the few wines that Ten Spoons produces that is made exclusively from grapes grown in Montana.

On a recent Saturday night, we had the mirror image of this dinner with our friends, Molli and Tony. We went to Ten Spoons tasting room and brought Biga Pizza.  I can’t seem to get enough of this combination. 

When you’re ready to have your perfect local date visit Biga Pizza, http://www.bigapizza.com/ to check out their current menu. A good sign of how important using local food is to a restaurant is to see how often the menu changes and this menu changes often so hurry if you want this pizza. To learn more about wonderful things they’re creating at Ten Spoons, go to http://www.tenspoons.com/. 

3 comments: